While some Australian bookmakers have been working in the iGaming industry for years, there are new Australian bookmakers that simply choose to buy them and get a quick start on the market - Playup falls into this latter category. In 2019, the company launched its own site by acquiring several Australian bookies (such as TopBetta and Classic Bet) and eventually even acquired Draftstars, one of the largest fantasy sports operators. Currently, all these brands serve under the "Playup Australia" co-brand, and we can say that this brand has become one of the biggest Aussie bookmakers in a very short time.
Playup betting offers a legal service licensed by The Northern Territory Racing Commission (NTRC). In addition to Australia, it also operates in New Zealand, India, and the USA. The brand is among the sponsors of all sports federations in Australia (including PGA AU), and the website is only available in English. In this review, we'll take a close look at all the services offered by the Play Up bookie Australia and talk about how they differ from other betting sites Australia.
Betting Variety at Play Up Australia
The services offered are grouped into two main categories: Racing and Sports. These categories include the following options:
- Racing: Thoroughbred Racing, Harness Racing, Greyhound Racing
- Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Cricket, Darts, Golf, Ice Hockey, Motor Racing, Rugby, Snooker, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball
You can also place future bets on some of these sports. There are also exotic options such as elections and entertainment: you can try your luck at TIME magazine's Person of the Year selection, for example. The global leagues featured by Play Up Australia consist of:
- NBA, NFL, NHL, Europa League, A-League, EPL, NCAAB, NCAAF
Under each type of sport, you can see a list of leagues that can be bet on, and when you select one of these leagues, you can view all available matches. Playup, predictably, offers an Australian-focused service. For example, most options for soccer are offered in the A-League. This is the name of the professional football league that covers Australia and New Zealand as it is known. However, we can say that it still provides a satisfactory service because it supports leagues that most Australian bookies skip, such as NCAAB and NCAAF. The minimum bet that can be placed for all these leagues & matches is 1 AUD. However, if you place a bet using a phone, the minimum limit will increase to 50 AUD.
Playup Australia supports over a dozen soccer leagues. These include globally recognised leagues such as the Australian A-League, English Premier League, German Bundesliga, Italian Serie A, Spanish La Liga, Turkish Super Lig, and UEFA Europa League. But you can also bet on lesser-known leagues like the Spanish Segunda Division, Scottish FA Cup, Paraguayan Division Professional, and Greek Super League. In general, we can say that very satisfactory content is offered in terms of football leagues, and their fixed odds are very competitive.
Esports betting is available at Play Up Australia, but it is quite limited. At the time of this review, only bets on League of Legends were accepted, and even this was limited to the VCS Winter Tournament. Simply put, you can only bet when the biggest tournaments are held for the most popular esports. For example, if you want to bet on CSGO, you have to wait until the ESL Pro finals start. In this respect, Play Up, unfortunately, cannot offer a satisfactory service, but do not forget that it also has fantasy sports betting service. You can also find some e-sports leagues in this service, which is offered under the name of "Draftstars".
Playup Australia Live Betting
Due to local laws, licensed bookmakers in Australia cannot offer live online betting services and/or online broadcasts of events. This affects all Aussie bookmakers, not just Play Up. Live betting is still possible but only via phone betting - If you want to place a live Playup bet, you need to call 1800 888 001. This number is available 24 hours/7 days.
Creating and Verifying a New Account at Play Up Bookmaker
To create a new Playup bet account, you must click the "join now" button on the main page (it is located at the top right corner). Doing so will open a one-page form asking for your personal details, such as your name, address, email, and phone number. (You cannot register using social media accounts.) After creating a username and a password, you can log in without clicking any email links. Note that you can also create deposit limits while registering, so self-exclusion tools are offered right from the start.
While creating an account is easy, you must also verify it within 14 days: otherwise, it gets closed. Verification can be done from your profile page by using the "verify" tab. When you click this tab, the system will try to automatically verify your registration info using online databases. You may be asked to provide additional info (i.e., your national ID) during this process. If automatic verification fails, you can do it manually by contacting customer support. In this regard, Play Up is no different from other Australian bookmakers. The support team will ask for documents verifying your identity and registration info, such as utility bills and credit card copies.
Playup Betting promotions
At the time of this review, there were several bonuses at Play Up, and none of them required any wagering/playthrough/rollover. This is actually not surprising - wagering requirement is a common practice among European bookmakers, but Australian bookies do not ask for it, you simply use the bonus. Of course, for the same reason, the bonuses are not as big as European bookies, but this is normal. Lastly, we should note that players residing in NSW, VIC, SA, or WA cannot benefit from promotions or Playup bonus bet offers.
- Cashback bonus On selected leagues, matches, and races, you can get a cashback bonus. For example, if your team loses the match but scores the first goal in an A-League football match, you win back 50 AUD. Likewise, if your dog finishes the race in second place, you win back the same amount. Note that these are defined to your account as a Playup bonus bet, not withdrawable cash.
- Horse owner If you place a bet on a horse you own and win that bet, your payout will be 15% higher. You need to register as an owner to use this bonus, and the extra payout is limited to 2.000 AUD.
- Boost up Some bets offer the "boost up" option to eligible members. If you see this option in a bet you placed, you can use it to increase the odds.
- Loyalty points You win loyalty points for every bet you place, and after collecting enough points, you can convert them into bonus bets. For example, 200 points can be redeemed as a 1 AUD bonus bet. The maximum amount is a 500 AUD bonus bet, which can be redeemed in exchange for 100.000 points. Note that bonus bets must be used within a month, and you can redeem a maximum of 500.000 points in a week.
Usability of Play Up Australia
If we compare it with other Aussie bookmakers, we can say that Playup has a very clean, simple, and useful design. Since almost no images are included, all pages load fast, and page elements that may distract you are not used. All the links you need are placed on the left, and you don't have any navigation problems. Most betting sites Australia favour a flashy but useless design, while Play Up has done the opposite.
A classic design is used on the betting pages. The event list is on the left, the event details and odds are in the middle, and the betting slip is on the right. The section with event details only lists the basic betting options and odds. At the top of the page, you can see the information about the events that will start soon. In general, we can say that this is a useful and practical design, but some bettors may want to see more detailed information.
Like other betting websites Australia, Playup only supports AUD. (This may vary depending on the geographic region you are in: for example, if you are playing on Play Up New Jersey, you can use US dollars.) The methods you can use for deposits and withdrawals are limited to:
- Credit Card (VISA/MasterCard)
- Debit Card
- Paysafe Card
- Bank Transfer
Minimum deposit and withdrawal limits are set at 10 AUD. There is no limit for maximum withdrawal. Before you can request a withdrawal (and be able to make a wire transfer deposit), you are required to verify your account first. Withdrawal requests are processed only on weekdays, and the whole process is completed within a maximum of 7 days. In our own tests, we have seen that the withdrawal is completed in an average of 24 hours, so you can consider 7 days as the maximum time.
Playup application for download
Playup is a modern bookmaker and does not offer a separate "download" option. Like other betting agencies Australia, it offers an instant and online service. You can view the website on desktop and mobile devices and benefit from the services offered. Without the need to use an app, you can bet with browsers, activate bonuses, make payments, or contact customer service. However, if you wish, you can also use the applications developed for iOS and Android.
Playup on Android
You can download the Android app directly from the Play Up site. The name of the file you need to download is "playup.apk", and you have to manually install it on your device. Application users can receive daily Playup bonus bet offers and learn the latest developments about their bets with push notifications.
Playup on iOS
You can download the iOS application from the App Store, but if you are outside of Australia, India, or the US, you may not be able to see it (real money betting applications can only be downloaded from the countries where they are licensed). Daily Playup bonus bet offers are also available in this application, and you can log in to your account with Touch ID.
How Reliable is Play Up Bookmaker?
The owner of this brand is "PlayUp Interactive Pty Ltd" and has been providing a licensed service since 2019. All pages of the website are encrypted with SSL. In other words, there is no problem in terms of legality and security. However, we can say that it is insufficient in terms of analytical data. For example, when you want to place a bet in favour of the Chicago Bears, you can only see the offered bet options and odds. No information is given about the team's past performance.
- Using arbitrage tactics and opening multiple accounts are not allowed. These are actions that cause all detected accounts to be closed.
- Likewise, the use of Playup bonus bet offers and other promotions in a way that reduces player risk such as "hunting" is not allowed. Accounts found to be doing this will be banned.
- Anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed to open an account under any circumstances.
- Even if you win a bet, you are not allowed to withdraw without verifying your identity.
- If your account information and the payment method you use do not match, your account can be closed.
- Using self-exclusion tools, you can set deposit and betting limits and even restrict your access to the site.
What You Should Expect from Playup Betting
- Offers the best fixed-odds among betting websites Australia
- You can also benefit from a fantasy sports betting service
- Has many useful bonuses, especially for horse and greyhound racing
- Offers native apps for iOS and Android
- Has phone support
- Phone betting is available
- Trusted and licensed brand
- Shares helpful beginner's guides on its blog called "Playbook".
- Insufficient in terms of analytical data
- You can find more bonuses at other betting sites Australia
- Payment options are limited
- The loyalty program is very simple
- It provides an Australian-focused service, not very adequate in terms of global leagues and matches
FAQ About Play Up Australia
How to register on the Play Up website?
Click the "join now" button on the main page and fill out the registration form. You need to provide personal details such as your name, address, email, and phone number. You can log in right after filling out the form, but you need to verify your account within 14 days.
How to bet on sports with Playup?
Log in with your credentials and select a sport from the menu on the left. Doing so will list all matches/events you can place a bet on. Select one, you will see all available betting options and odds in the middle. Pick one, enter your wager, and click the "confirm" button on the slip.
Is it possible to watch live streams of matches in the bookmaker Playup?
No, because live online betting is prohibited in Australia: other Australian bookmakers have the same problem. For the same reason, there is no online broadcast option. To place a live bet, you must call 1800 888 001, the hotline of Playup. Note that Play Up offers live betting and streams in İndia and New Jersey.
How to get a bonus in bookmaker Playup?
There is no welcome bonus/sign up package you can use, but there are cashback and bonus bet offers. All these promotions work automatically - you just need to opt-in while placing your bet. In other words, they are not activated by deposits or bonus codes. Bonuses in Playup Australia are actually "features" that enhance your bets.
Why is the Playup website not working?
This can be either because of a technical problem (i.e., maintenance on the server) or a problem with your internet connection. If your internet is fine, wait until the technical problem is fixed or look for a mirror site (you can also try using the mobile apps).